finding directory icon

Sebastian Gurin sgurin at montevideo.com.uy
Thu May 31 00:48:15 PDT 2007

El jue, 31-05-2007 a las 06:46 +0200, Thiago Macieira escribió:
> Sebastian Gurin wrote:
> >Hi all. This is my first message to this list. I'm just starting with
> >freedesktop's standars extending the xdg-utils shell scripts.
> >
> >Well, my problem is the next: I would like to find the icon name that
> >represent a directory in a freedesktop based system.
> >
> >At this moment, I'm able to find common file's icon's looking in
> >their .desktop file in $XDG_DATA_DIR/icons directories. But directories
> >("x-directory/normal" mimetype) seems not to have an asociated .desktop
> >file like "normal" files like .mp3, .html, etc. So the question is: how
> >can I obtain the icon's name of the mimetypes like
> >"x-directory/normal".
> >
> >Last, I'm working with linux debian based systems.
> >
> >Thanks in advance, and excuse me for my poor english.  Any tip will
> >help.
>
> Since you're talking about .desktop files for icons and mimetypes, I
> believe you're referring to KDE 3's MIME type system. That is not XDG's
> shared-mime system, which uses XML files instead.

Mmmm... I think I'm talking about .desktop files that are mencioned in
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec. In
fact, I have not kde installed on this machine

For a given mimetype, I'm looking for its default application .desktop's
file in  $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications/desfaults.list and in
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/desfaults.list[1]

Once I've found the .desktop file of the application I can look up for
its icon. Is this "algorithm" for finding a mimetype's icon right?

Well, my problem with directories is that there is no default
application (in my machine) for opening files "x-directory/normal"
registered in $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications/desfaults.list..

P/D: I'm tring to make a linux filemanager in java. At this moment my
priority is to guess a standar way of finding an icon that represents a
given mimetype.

Thanks for reading.

Notes:

[1] which in my case are $HOME/.local/share
and /usr/local/share/:/usr/share/ respectively. This path were taken of
basedir-spec
(http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html)