DBus server for keyboard layouts

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Oct 4 03:53:37 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 02 of October 2007, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Hi all
>
> There is an idea to standardize keyboard switching public DBus
> interface. The idea and the interface is drafted in agreement between
> GNOME and KDE maintainers of the respective desktop subsystems (me and
> Andriy Rysin correspondingly). The goal is to provide interested apps
> with the interface allowing to analyze the current set of layouts and
> switch them. For example, office apps could automatically switch the
> layout according to the document/paragraph language. Dictionary
> frontends could do the similar thing.

 How exactly should that work when switching between applications? I don't
think people would like it if their global keyboard layout changed "randomly"
just because they happen to have a multi-language document open in a text
editor.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz