DBus server for keyboard layouts

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 02:12:50 PDT 2007

>  How exactly should that work when switching between applications?
There can be 3 scenarios:
1. If you switch to the "classic" app (which does not support
"context-driven" layouts), there are no changes:
  - if DE/WM implements "layout per window" mode, each application
"remembers" its layout.
  - otherwise the layout is preserved on switching
2. If the app supports "context-driven" layouts, the layout would be
changed depending on where you caret would be put to, immediately
after switch.

> I don't
> think people would like it if their global keyboard layout changed "randomly"
> just because they happen to have a multi-language document open in a text
> editor.
Of course, this all should be optional behavior - like per-window
layout settings in GNOME these days. But I think many people would
actually like that idea - it would save some keypresses in situations
where necessary layout is obvious.

Cheers,

Sergey