DBus server for keyboard layouts

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Oct 5 20:20:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:16:16 +0100 "Sergey Udaltsov" <sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Yes, technically you are right. The only thing is that XKB API is not
> the most comfortable in the world, and it is rather low-level.
> Generalizing DBus interface for these things would help app
> developers.

no - dbus will make things worse. this is X11. this service belongs at the x
protocol layer. you don't like xkb? write a library that wraps it and makes it
easier. convinve gtk/qt and friends to wrap it up nicely for you, but dbus is
entirely the wrong place for this. dbus is for local system services. keyboard
mapping is a display server service and thus belongs there. remember you may
have apps running remotely from a machine on the other side of the planet over
an x connection. how do you expect them to talk to a local dbus instance? dbus
is the wrong place for this.