DBus server for keyboard layouts

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Oct 6 17:40:49 PDT 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:49:12 +0100 "Sergey Udaltsov" <sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com>
babbled:

> > no - dbus will make things worse. this is X11. this service belongs at the x
> > protocol layer.
> I would totally agree unless there would be no things which are not
> related to x at all - countries/languages. This is higher language.

the problem is you ask for a specific language - but this modifies an x
property (key layout) and both local and remote apps will want/need to do this
- they should work the same way as far as the user goes. so dbus still is the
wrong place :)

> > you don't like xkb? write a library that wraps it and makes it
> > easier.
> Haha. First, there are several things which are broken in XKB and
> wrapper cannot fix them without losing network transparency.
> Especially when it comes to RMLVO-based configuration. Daniel Stone is
> working on that part - but it will appear (in the very base case) in
> the next stable version of Xorg. But again - this is all rather
> low-level matter. The proposed DBus interface trying to deal with
> higher-level terms which were never handled by X. Should we create
> another (XLOCALE?) extension instead of dbus service, what do you
> think?

you don't even need an extension - setting up a daemon that has an invisible x
window that listens for x client messages and can advertise state with
properties on its invisible window (which other apps can find) will do all your
work for you as if it were dbus - but it lives in x - thus is accessible to
everyone. you can extend xkb with such a protocol. pretty much the same way
wm's interact with client windows, copy and paste is done, tray icons are done
etc.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)