locale specific for .desktop

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Oct 18 03:49:39 PDT 2007

Em Thursday 18 October 2007 12:34:01 Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
escreveu:
> > Why shouldn't someone using a different locale see the application?
>
> Because the application does not work on other locales.
> E.g. some countries use limited languages only. Chinese dictionary
> applications are used in China but if Japanese users launch the dictionary
> applications, they expect Japanese dictionaries are available but actually
> the application provides Chinese dictionary only. In that case, we expect
> the application is shown in the panel on zh locales only. If we have the
> case to support the minority that the users use Chinese dictionary in
> Japan, the idea is zh_JP.UTF-8 will be generated or just can use setenv.
> But showing the menu item gives the locales high visibility.

And that's where we disagree.

If you have a Chinese dictionary application, you want to see it no matter
whether your desktop's language is Japanese, Chinese, English or Swahili.
You're assuming that people who want to read the Chinese dictionary are using
a Chinese desktop, which isn't true -- for instance, some techie people could
be using an English desktop in China because there is no Chinese translation
for it yet.

Now, if the application is simply "Dictionary", then it should detect the
desktop language when loaded and offer that language as the default choice
when loaded. But it should not prevent users from accessing other
dictionaries it provides.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358