locale specific for .desktop

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Oct 18 05:26:35 PDT 2007

Em Thursday 18 October 2007 14:11:38 você escreveu:
> > I also know people who use different settings for different LC_*
> > variables.
>
> Yes, those changes should be considered.
> Please note users can launch the application directly with the command line
> if they need.

Not acceptable. If using the command line is acceptable for you, then you
don't need to install the menu .desktop at all. And then we don't have this
issue to discuss.

Imagine now that there are two applications that I need to use (for whatever
reason). One only shows in the Brazilian Portuguese locale that I use and the
other in Japanese.

Can you give me a good reason why I should have to *choose* one of those to
show up in the menu? Why can't I have both?

And if I can have both, why not simply show them for all locales?

Also think of the "principle of least surprise". Imagine that I have an
application in my menu, but then I change my locale. It'll be a surprise to
find out that the application has disappeared. How will I start it?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358