locale specific for .desktop

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 19 11:23:19 PDT 2007

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center wrote:

> You're right. I think I can provide the tentative patch in the shor term however actually I expect it takes much time for the modification to be applied in Desktop Entry.
> I cannot break the specification but need to resolve this issue.

There's no need to break spec.  The spec allows you to add custom keys
to the .desktop file by prepending "X-" to the name, so you could add e.g.:

X-OnlyShowInLang=zh,en

(or whatever) to the .desktop file, and then change your menu
implementation to honor this value.

> How do you proceed the enhancement of Desktop Entry specification if developers want to change it generally?
> I'm not sure how to get agreements of fixes or other solutions.
> Do also you need the patch and bugid for the specification?

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced this should go into the desktop entry
spec.  This seems very special-case-use and IMO broken behavior, and we
shouldn't be encouraging future implementors and packagers to use this
sort of thing.

	-brian