locale specific for .desktop

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 18:50:46 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 20:28 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
wrote:

> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > 2007/10/18, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center <Takao.Fujiwara at sun.com>:
> >
> >>The problem is the ability to show the limited locales only by default installation.
> >>If this feature is implemented, your case is also covered, e.g.
> >>
> >>OnlyShowInLang=zh_CN,en_CN or OnlyShowInLang=zh,en
> >>
> >>But the default value is designed in the system supportability and it also has the extention for each request.
> >

> > Why? If I take my laptop to Japan it will still run in pl_PL locale
> > but my demand for software might change. I strongly believe (and
> > others seem they also do) that hiding an application from the user is
> > doing him a bad favor.
>
> The users don't have the bad favor because the system is configured
> under the default configuration and it means the users are properly
> explained how to show the specific application when they change the
> locales.

A) Who are the users?

B) How is this a spec problem rather than a packaging problem?

It seems to me that your "users" are "Sun's customers" who are located
in a specific region of Asia. These customers are not the end users, but
the "administrators" who are requesting the default configuration be a
certain way. The default should be that said application is not
installed for those locales, rather than installed, but hidden.

The way you are demanding things work would be analogous to me decided
to speak in French one day, and suddenly having all the English
literature disappear from my bookshelf when I walk up to it.

If it's not something that would happen in the real world, I don't see
it really making much sense in the desktop metaphor world, either. It
seems the best approach is to either solve the problem with packaging,
or system lock-down administration tools.

-- dobey