Science menu revisited

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 1 21:06:00 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Almost a year ago I sent an email to this list asking about the
possibility of moving "Science" to a main category in the menu spec. At
that time I was encouraged to provide a patch for review.

I got a little (ok, a lot) preoccupied and in the mean time there has
been a lot of discussion, especially in Debian, about what an
appropriate Main category would be. The goal is to provide a space for
applications currently shoved into "Education" when in fact they are not
used for educational purposes but rather scientific, technical, or
research purposes. I know that the Debian Science and Ubuntu science
teams would really like to see this change. I've heard rumors that
openSUSE and Fedora are also interested, though I haven't talked with
them yet. Debian seems to like the idea of "Research" as the main
category because it is broader than Science and brings out the contrast
to Education.

Some references from Debian:
http://wiki.debian.org/ExtraMenus
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2008/03/msg00024.html

So, I'd like to get feedback about the idea of adding "Research" as a
main category. I'd especially like to hear from non-Debian/Ubuntu
people. It seems to me like it would be a good idea to solve this issue
at the freedesktop.org level so that we don't get multiple, different or
conflicting "solutions" from each distro.

Thanks,
Jordan Mantha

Ubuntu Core Developer
Debian Maintainer