Fwd: Re: JobViewServer specification proposal

Ethan Osten senoki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:49:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 19:40 +0200, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> However I really agree this is for sure not the best solution. What other
> alternatives we have assuring that they are cross-desktop ?

Specify some file type, perhaps based on the same principle as desktop
files, with allowance for translated versions. If a particular type
doesn't have the proper i18n, that's a bug to be fixed in the
application that provides it, not the system.

For example, an application that wanted "Units" as an amount type could
install this in a place like /usr/share/amounttypes/, where it would be
parsed by the implementer of the JobViewServer spec;

	[Unit Type]
	Name=Unit
	Display=units
	Display[en_US][1]=unit
	etc.

So that normally it would show up as "Application has X units," but
"Application has 1 unit."

This could obviously use some work; not every language would have the
subject application at the beginning, for example, or would indicate
such things by possession. But you get the idea.

- Ethan