[patch] updates to thumbnail standard

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Sat Apr 12 10:36:11 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Following an earlier thread on this list, I would like to propose a
minor update to the Thumbnail Managing Standard. A patch is attached
against the HTML version. (I contacted Olivier Sessink, but he indicated
that there was probably no valid up-to-date docbook source for the
original HTML files.)

The proposed changes are meant to be uncontroversial, and are meant to
codify existing best practices. The basic changes are:

1) Indicate that all cache reads and writes should be skipped for
non-readable images (as discussed earlier on this list).

2) Indicate that image metadata, including orientation tags, should be
respected. (The libgnomeui thumbnailer and gthumb do this for sure;
other programs may differ.)

3) Some minor spelling corrections.

A patch is attached for discussion. A patched version is viewable here:
http://www.avtechpulse.com/opensource/spec-new/index.html

- Mike