Proposal: Inharitance for Desktop Entry Spec

cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) cobaco at skolelinux.no
Thu Apr 17 05:47:57 PDT 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008, 洪任諭 wrote:
> Combining all desktop files with the same name is a good idea.
> However, this doesn't solve the problem where two different files are
> only different from Exec key, such as the case of synaptic.desktop and
> synaptic-kde.desktop.
> Having to copy the whole files just to modify one line is apparently
> not a good idea.
> This is why I think inheritance is needed.

No, you misunderstand:

for your example this would give a synaptic.desktop as is now, and a
synaptic-kde.desktop which only the the exec key in a higher priority
basedir.

You then use the exact same mechanism as now with the sole difference that
the granularity would be per-key instead of per-file.

In other words instead of searching for the highest priority basedir that
has the .desktop file in question and using only the keys in that file.
You would check the basedirs for each key in the desktop file, taking the
value from the highest priority basedir where the key is present.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)