[Icon-Naming-Spec] New icons proposal

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Fri Apr 18 04:22:10 PDT 2008

On Friday, 18. April 2008, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:34 +0200, Stephan Arts wrote:
> > - system-shutdown
> > - system-reboot
> > - system-hibernate
>
> and system-suspend.

For KDE, we've used system-suspend and system-suspend-hibernate, so that the
latter can fall back to the former if the theme doesn't have both. (Because
essentially they're both "go to sleep" icons.)
I would love to see this scheme to be adopted, as I find it to be a nice
mixture between flexibility and not requiring too much from 3rd party theme
creators.

Also, we used system-restart instead of system-reboot, but that's more likely
just a matter of taste and a question of "who will need to adapt their icon
sets".

> There's some tango icons for suspend and hibernate in the
> gnome-power-manager package if anyone is interested. I would love these
> to go upstream tho, as we are also using custom icons in the gnome
> logout UI too.

Seconded. With all three of XFCE, GNOME and KDE using those icons, we should
really get them into the standard.

Wishes,
  Jakob