desktop neutral xsettings manager?

洪任諭 pcman.tw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 02:05:14 PDT 2008

2008/4/24, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> The downside of the lack of a unified config storage system is that
> when someone switches between GNOME and Xfce (for example), they'll
> have to configure all these things twice.  But how much of an issue is
> this?  How many people switch back and forth between desktop
> environments?  I mean real average-Joe people here: not GUI developers
> or hobbyists who play with these things as a matter of course.  I just
> don't see desktop-related configuration storage as much of an issue.
> As long as applications have a simple way of determining the important
> stuff regardless of what desktop environment is running, isn't that
> enough?  Xsettings fills that need nicely, IMO.
This makes sense.
Different desktop systems can have different config systems.
The problem of xsettings spec is, it's not widely adopted.
So we need to get this into KDE.
Besides, some standard names of config values should be defined.
GTK+ currently use something like Gtk/FontName to specify its font.
So, it's impossible that KDE will use this.
Besides, Net/Theme is also problematic since there aren't many cross-desktop
themes. Besides, naming of icon themes should be standarsized first.
Otherwise, using a common icon theme for programs developed with different
toolkits under the same desktop environment won't work at all.
So, they are still much to do. At least developers should push this into KDE.