JobViewServer specification proposal

Florent Mertens flomertens at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 07:43:53 PDT 2008

Hi Aaron and Rafael,

I'll not reply point by point, because i think that we don't really have
the same point of view on how things should works.

If i understand correctly, you idea is to get ride of all progress bar
of all applications and to have a common application for controlling
this progress. This sound cool, but i don't think that this is the right
approch, i'll do my best to explain why.

Let's take some real uses cases :

Take a download application. This can be a p2p application, a torrent
application, or whatever you want. There point is to download stuff, so
one of there first feature is to show the progress of this downloading,
and to be able to control it. This can be by setting priority, limiting
bandwirth, showing fine detail of the progress (torrent are hashed)...
So whatever you might think, you can't get ride of the progress bar in
those applications. Point taken, you can also provide those infos to the
JobView, so you can have a look at what's going on quickly. But there
will be some redundancy there. You have 2 open window with the same
information, but one with finer grain informations. Guess which one
you'll look at.

Now take a file manager. Most of the time when you copy stuff it takes
less than 1 min. So the progress window only shoot up for a small amount
of time. If each time you copy some files appear a window with a lot of
different jobs that have nothing to do with what you are currently
doing, this is not really the better way to communicate this
information. And you can multiply the uses cases, when you do something
that require a progress window, you don't always want to have the all
view of what's going on. You just want to know how is going what you are
  currently doing.

If i was interested by this spec in the first place, it was because i
have a net idea of how things should works. This is my own opinion, and
i might have failed in thinking what users want.

For the reasons i stated above, i don't think that it is a good idea to
get ride of application's progress window. But it is important to be
able to have an overview of what's going on, and this is why this spec
is important. This JobView window should reside in the system tray. The
problem is that if you keep all those progress window and you add an
other one that show the overview, you don't really solve the problem. So
a solution might be to provide an hide/unhide facility. You should be
able to hide your application's progress bar, and unhide it via the
JobView window.

Exemple :
A progress bar appear when you are copying some files. You have a hide
button. When you click on it you have a little animation that show you
that it's hide in a The JobView tray icon. If you click on this tray
icon, you have an overview of all the long time job, including the job
you just hide. It provide an unhide button, which when clicked pop up
the application progress bar.

This solution allow the user to have the control on what level of
information he want, If he want to only see the progress of what he is
currently doing, or if he prefer having an overview.

I hope you'll understand my concerns. But i also be entirely wrong, and
if so, please convince me that i am wrong.

Best regards,

Flo