JobViewServer specification proposal

Florent Mertens flomertens at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 12:59:52 PDT 2008

Rafael Fernández López a écrit :
> Hi Florent,
>
>> If i understand correctly, you idea is to get ride of all progress bar
>> of all applications and to have a common application for controlling
>> this progress. This sound cool, but i don't think that this is the right
>> approch, i'll do my best to explain why.
>
> I probably misexplained myself. I completely think removing progresses bar of
> all applications is a plain mistake.
>
> What we said (I guess Aaron referred to that too) is that if the progress bar
> is shown on the application too is up to the application developer. In any
> case we try to remove those bar progresses.

It is not really up to the application developper. It is more up to how
the JobViewer while behave on new jobs (i.e. will it pop up the jobview
window, will it behave silently with a notification icon...). So even if
it is not state literally in the spec, you'll not really have the choice.

This should be treated as a detail of the implementation. In it's
current state, i don't really see how i should use this spec, simply
because i don't really understand how it will behave.

Reading your mails, i had the impression that you think that having the
progress information exclusively in the jobviewer should be the rule,
and if some applications still want to show them, it's up to them. I
think exactly the opposite, and this is what i tried to explain in my
previous mail, please read it. In fact i fail to found any use case
where it would be preferable to show progress information only in the
jobviewer. Correct me if i am wrong.

Best regards,

Flo