Commit notifications for specs

Toni Ruottu toni.ruottu at iki.fi
Tue Apr 29 11:43:18 PDT 2008

> well, the reason behind having all specs in one repo is to have them all
> together, so that anyone wanting to do a change can get all of them from
> the same place. Right now it seems to be hard to know where the source
> of the spec is, so is there any way you could continue maintaining your
> spec as you do now but have the latest version always in the shared git
> repo?

That is how people usually work with distributed version control tools.
You create your own branch from the main branch hosted at
Freedesktop.org. Then you publish your version on some web page and ask
a trusted maintainer to merge your modifications into the official
version. If he doesn't, then you still have your own copy and if
Freedesktop.org some day fails completely an other one may become the
one people trust. At that point you would naturally want to get your
changes into that one.

Untz, do you have a reason for preferring GIT over Bazaar? I'm not
saying GIT is bad, I just want the choices to be discussed. We ought to
choose the one that best fits our needs.

  --Toni