Commit notifications for specs

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Apr 30 10:06:16 PDT 2008

Quoting Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 18:27 +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>
>> - KIO, GIO and GnomeVFS. KIO is the I/O framework used by KDE since,
>> at least, 1999. But the Gtk+ developers decided to go on their own and
>> implement GIO without talking to KDE developers. GIO was developed
>> while KDE was developing the 4.0 version, a very good moment to break
>> compatibility. This has been a sad, missed opportunity to define a
>> common spec.
>
> the icon naming is a specification. the trash location and usage is a
> specification.
>
> GIO, and KIO, are not "specifications": they are libraries exposing an
> API. making them work as a common low-level API would have required
> either GObject switch to QObject or vice-versa.
>
> the idea behind GIO was adding an virtual file system API into GLib and
> using GObjects; using something else would have completely defeated the
> whole point of it.
>
> by the way: GIO implements various fd.o specifications - the
> thumbnailing specification, the trash spec, the shared mime info spec,
> etc. exactly like KIO does.

KIO and GIO could have shared plugins ("slaves", in KIO slang) but
they do not. That would have been very useful.

A KDE developer (his nick is 'nf2', I can't remember his name)
developed a GIO->KIO bridge which makes possible to use GIO plugins in
KIO. It was not accepted in KDE, I can't remember why. But this bridge
would have been unnecessary, or at least a thinner layer, had a common
spec and/or API be agreed.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org