Trash Spec Idea

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Mon Aug 18 11:04:49 PDT 2008

On Monday 18 August 2008, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 03:59:23AM +0100, João Valverde wrote:
> >
> > I have to disagree there. You're hard coding something that can be
> > provided dynamically by the kernel. I wrote some basic proof of concept
> > type code and it seems to work well. It prints to stdout all the mount
> > points associated with device nodes. Even as a command line tool maybe
> > it could fill a legitimate need if improved. I'm attaching it in case
> > anyone is interested, I hope that's OK.
>
> Just in case you don't know, it seems that setmntent/getmntent are not
> that portable. On sun (some solaris) the structures are different with
> mnt_fstype
> mnt_mountp
> mnt_special
> mnt_mntopts
> mnt_time
> I  guess it is what is explained in the NOTES in the getmntent(3) man
> page on linux.

Yes, or see the KMountPoint code in KDE.
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kio/kio/kmountpoint.cpp?view=markup

About the filesystem types in the trash implementation, what did I do.... ah yes, I don't
use mtab at all, I use Solid which uses HAL to get a list of device volumes
(org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume). Much nicer than the old way of filtering
based on the filesystem type ;)