Icon naming spec: generic binary MIME type icon?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Dec 1 07:15:13 PST 2008

On Thursday 27 November 2008, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > How about adding let's say
> >
> > binary-x-generic: The icon used for generic binary file types.
>
> The MIME type for binary files is application/octet-stream, therefore an
> icon for binary files must be named application-octet-stream.

Well, the MIME type for ALL binary files certainly isn't
application/octet-stream, and because the "Standard MIME Type Icons" list
already contained some entries that are not obviously directly derived from
real/official MIME types, I thought (without knowing much at all about the
spec) that continuing down that path would be ok.  But I don't really care
what it's called, only a bit about that _something_ to this effect gets added
to the spec :)

> I would agree that this totally belongs into the icon naming spec (good
> luck getting it in :P ) but even if it's not in there, pretty much every
> serious theme should ship with such an icon.
>
> ...what? gnome-icon-theme does not have an application-octet-stream icon?
> Dude. Well, good luck getting it into the spec then.

Mmh, I don't know about the history around the spec but "good luck getting it
in" doesn't sound too encouraging.  Contacting this list was the only
instruction about feedback to the spec I found - does the "good luck" part
imply that I should be contacting someone else about it or be prepared to do
something else besides start this discussion?

I don't have an account for editing the Wiki, could someone who does add an
entry about this to
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/icon-naming-spec/to-be-named ?