What is the definition of "standards"?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 1 11:54:56 PST 2008

On Monday 01 December 2008, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 20:09 +0100, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > Although, didn't someone propose a distinction between specifications
> > that have generally been agreed upon, and specifications that have not?
>
> The "Specifications" wiki page should have that already, listing the
> specifications in such groupings.

... and still not doing so in an actually useful manner to somone on the
outside, such as:

* what qualified that spec for greater acceptance
* what point in time that spec was so blessed
* what versions of which software can be relied on to support such things
* and no transparent process for this to occur

i've been talking with the kind folk at the Linux Foundation with regards to
possible ways to get things moving so that:

* we can improve the above issues
* we can integrate our information with their fledgling LDN initiative
* we can build a realistic path towards LSB adoption of relevant and
meanginful specs

they are willing and able to:

* host a repository for this metadata
* help us define and manage the process
* bring in expertise to help with the making-specs-standards-for-things-like-
LSB task

i didn't want to say anything and get people all excited until we at least had
the repository to show, but since this topic keep coming up and i don't think
it's useful to rehash it yet again, i figured i'd let the cat at least peak
outside the bag ;)

CC'ing Brian @ LF ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo