Icon naming spec: generic binary MIME type icon?

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:54:28 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 01:05 +0100, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> Yes, of course. I'm aware that gnome-icon-theme has little relevance to spec
> issues, and did not intend to imply any connection, just that it's not
> currently possible to use an application-octet-stream icon while assuming that
> it will actually be present.

Well, the point of the spec is to have generic fallbacks, and so you can
query for things which aren't necessarily going to be in an icon theme.
We now also have generic icon names specifiable in the shared-mime-info
data, and in the Shared MIME spec.

> On the other hand (and no, I don't enjoy being a pain in the neck), your reply
> does not say anything about whether such an icon (be it application-octet-
> stream or a more generic one) could go into the spec or not, which was the
> original question.

Perhaps there just needs to be some more clarification in the spec about
how the fallback works for MIME types? I thought it was clear in the
spec, but looking again, it looks like there could be some more
clarification there.

-- Rodney