file selector abstraction (GUI) (libfileselector.so)

Mark Seaborn mrs at mythic-beasts.com
Tue Dec 16 10:58:10 PST 2008

Sol <solistic at gmx.net> wrote:

> Mark Seaborn wrote:
> > I have written a hack for Gtk which replaces Gtk's usual file chooser
> > with a file chooser implemented in a separate process.
>
> Nice, this could be useful. I'm not sure yet if there is a concise
> in-process solution. If not, I'll have a closer look on your code.

The current version is an LD_PRELOAD library that replaces some Gtk
API calls.  It works with a lot of applications, but not with Firefox,
which dlopen()s libgtk.  The successor is a work-in-progress; it's a
patch to Gtk, which you can find here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/gtk-with-powerbox.git (code)
http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/Story20 (notes)

The intention is that the Gtk code will be separate from the RPC
mechanism used, which is implemented in libpowerbox, of which there
can be different implementations.
For example, there is a DBus implementation:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/plash/scratch/powerbox-dbus/
and the intention is that there will also be a version using Plash's
object-capability comms protocol.

Maybe I should rename libpowerbox to something more descriptive such
as libtrustedpathfilechooser (that's a bit long-winded though).

> Is there a chance that you'll give me permission to "reuse" your
> code under the terms of the MIT-License?

I'm open to the idea of relaxing the licence, but which bits of code
do you have in mind?  The Gtk hooks are quite Gtk-specific.

Mark