New sounds naming spec suggestion for freedesktop

Michaël Humblet humbletmica at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 12:06:36 PST 2008

First of all, i'd like to thanks those who have written the documentation about the sounds spec, I was searching for that for a while to create a sound theme.

So, I said I wanted to create a new theme. I've managed to create and name all the sounds properly, except few with which I'm experiencing problems.

These are:
-button-pressed
-menu-click

In fact, they are too common, and override with other actions and so there are too much sounds played and it become annoying for the user.

In my opinion, what should be done, is to split them like this, in order to have deeper customization level and thus stop playing sound when you do not want them to be played.

-panel-button-click (= any button clicked in the gnome panel, the start button for instance)
-panel-menu-popup (= popup of the start menu)
-panel-menu-click (= any program launched in the start menu)

-dialog-button-click (=any button of a dialog window)

-window-menu-popup (=popup of the application's menu)
-window-menu-click (=an element clicked in an application's menu, for instance "open, new, properties, close, etc")

-window-button-click (=any button below the menus 'file, edit, view, etc'. So for example, previous and next button in nautilus)
-window-button-previous
-window-button-next
-window-button-refresh
-window-button-home
-window-button-search
-window-button-stop
-window-button-play

-navigation-item-clicked (= double-clicking to open a folder in nautilus for instance)

I think that if those new sounds names are created, I won't have any further problem with sound event that override each other.

Thank you,

Maike.