Default Program | File Association

André Gillibert rcvxdg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:19:55 PST 2008

David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > Hopefully GNOME does not implement InitialPreference any more. Otherwise
> > GNOME would start KDE applications for all tasks. (It was a real problem
> > in one of older GNOME versions.)
>OK that's a valid concern, which can be solved with [InitialPreferences-KDE] and [InitialPreferences-Gnome]
> I suppose. But this defeats the point of standardizing it I guess, we could just implement our own different
> solutions.

Why no using a quality factor which would indicate what the application is worth, in absolute value, for a specific MIME type?
Specific desktops would have specific algorithms to generate an "adequation factor" from this quality factor, as well as any other information they can gather.

For example, KDE may use the quality factor as base adequation factor but add 2 or 3 if the application has KDE in its Categories list and 1 or 2 if the application has Qt in its Categories list.
It may also give some bonus to the application that have been installed most recently, when several applications have close adequation factors.

The algorithm wouldn't specified, of course.

It's possible to write such algorithms, even without quality factor, but I think this factor gives a useful hint.

--
Sincerely.
André Gillibert