User bus?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Feb 15 18:39:41 PST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 2:50 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> >  Implementation could be as easy as asking ConsoleKit for the magic
> >  cookie (if there is no daemon, spawn one). It would also allow
> >  ConsoleKit to tell the daemon when the last session disappears as it
> >  already tracks seats and users. Not sure how to make service
> >  activation work in such a scenario.
> Maybe more importantly, I think two buses (system and session) is
> complicated enough. Adding another one would be a mess.

Ok then.

> Replacing the session bus with (user,machine) bus would be very bad;

Agreed.

What about asking CK to spawn a new session instead of doing it
directly? In case ENV is not set, just ask CK (still would allow
system session daemons to poll local buses from CK and do stuff like
push notifications to local user session services). Would also remove
the need to push more and more stuff into Xinit (same applies to ssh-
and gpg-agent and really any global agents that refuse to use dbus).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution