Standard for address books ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 17:04:42 PST 2008

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Ross Burton wrote:
> central database file isn't a solution, because it doesn't give you
> change notifications.

well, that depends on the precise system you are using for storage of course.

> KDE has a system I've forgotten the name of.

akonadi; it's not just for KDE, either. in fact, Andrew Cowie presented about
it at L.C.A. at the Gnome Miniconf the other week.

akonad does address and calendaring, but it also does mail (pop, imap, etc).
essentially it's the entire groupware data stack separated from a gui. it's
designed to be very scalable, has a plugin arch making it very extensible and
also supports external indexing (inc metadata) of received data e.g. into
nepomuk stores (as opposed to the external tool indexing the files after the
fact)

> Oh, and for mail, just run a local IMAP server. :)

or akonadi ... which speaks IMAP natively. =) you can therefore use
non-akonadi mail clients with it. pretty neat.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se