Idea: Attention API

Scott Peterson lunchtimemama at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:26:29 PST 2008

I agree that a explicit presence component would be good too. While
Telepathy has similar concerns to the idea proposed here, I am not
sure it would be appropriate to merge the two. Telepathy is
exclusively concerned with interpersonal communication protocols; the
attention API (and even the verbatim presence status) are not. It
could be misleading to application developers if this were implemented
in Telepathy: they might assume that, since their application has
nothing to do with IM, VoIP & al., they have no business supporting a
Telepathy Dbus API. On the other hand, if this were a separate API,
then it could be consumed both by Telepathy and any other application.
Hierarchically speaking, I think this belongs "above" Telepathy. But
I'm glad you're interested and I'm willing to be persuaded if you feel
strongly about it.

-Scott