Default Program | File Association

Hayden hayden at halogenware.com
Thu Jan 24 04:08:42 PST 2008

Hello all

> This "copying and hiding" also means that if you upgrade gwenview and it
> handles more mimetypes, or has a fix in any other desktop entry, your kde
> won't
> know it.
> For this reason, I'm open to a solution with a single text or xml file in
> the
> user's local dir, but then it has to be able to specify not only adding
> but
> also removing mimetypes from the installed desktop files (e.g. if you want
> de-associate an app from a mimetype even though its global desktop file
> mentions that mimetype).

What if the additional mimetypes were added to the "mimeinfo.cache" files
that are already in use (even though they're no longer mentioned in the
desktop entry spec)? This would require minimal changes to code that already
uses the cache files. As for deleting mimetypes maybe the creation of a
counterpart cache file eg. "mimeinfo_deleted.cache" would suffice.

I think it would be best not to allow applications to set themselves as the
default application as this should entirely be a user preference. However it
would be nice to be able to read this value.

Regards

Hayden Legendre