Mime Spec updates: Matching order and generic icons

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 03:36:16 PST 2008

Attached is an update to the shared mime specification that adds two
things:

1) An update to the default mimetype resolve order, based on previous
discussions on this list.

The basic change is to prefer glob matches if we get non-conflicting
matches, otherwise we resolve conflicts in a slightly more advanced way,
including using a newly added priority for
globs.

2) Adds generic-icon and icon attribute for mimetypes. As per some
discussions between Gnome and KDE developers.

The generic-icon is used for looking up the icon to use if the mimetype
specific icon does not exist (i.e. the if the "application-msword"
doesn't exist, use "x-office-document"). The list of generic icon names
are availible in Table 10 in the icon naming spec. Without this addition
there is currently no way to know what generic icon to use without
hardcoding a list of types.

The "icon" attribute is used if set before the mimetype specific icon
name, and is supposed to only be used in the per-user mimetype database
to override things for user customization. It will not be used in the
freedesktop database.

Opinions?