Address Book

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Jan 28 10:46:22 PST 2008

On Monday, 28. January 2008, Luka Čehovin wrote:
> Thanks for quick replies. I think Akonadi is the closes match to what
> I had in mind yes. Of course the important thing is whether it is
> dependent on some KDE libraries. I guess I will have to take a look
> into that matter.

Looking at the CMakeLists.txt makefile [1], the Akonadi server (which is what
you want to use) apparently depends on a few basic Qt libraries (QtCore,
QtNetwork, QtSql, QtDBus, QtXml) and KDE's most basic lib, kdecore.
All of those are platform and GUI independent, whether that satisfies your
requirements depends on your definition of "not bloated". Your application,
of course, doesn't need to link to those.

I've read up a bit on the methodology:
Control message passing is done via D-Bus, whereas the actual data is passed
with an IMAP-like protocol (over sockets, I assume). That's pretty low-level
stuff afaik, handling all kinds of information just as mimetype+data.

The kdepim people also provide libakonadi which makes communication with the
server easy by providing a more higher-level Qt-style API, but if you use
libakonadi then your application has to link to heavier Qt/KDE libraries, and
I gather you don't want to do that. So you'd either have to provide the
contacts as low-level format (was it vCard textual data? i think so) and send
it to the Akonadi server manually, or create your own abstraction library
that doesn't link to Qt/KDE.

Hope that helped with the evaluation, cheers,
  Jakob

[1]
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/akonadi/server/CMakeLists.txt?revision=762248&view=markup