Default Program | File Association

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Jan 29 09:00:11 PST 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Mhall wrote:
> All of these seems to be steering closer and closer to theDebian alternatives database, could we just use that with a mime type instead of a task name?  It already has support for applications to add/remove themselves with a priority number, allows the user to easily change priority and/or set which one to use.
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/91

Alternatives don't work for this:
* we need a _list_ of default applications, so that when one is not available (removed, wrong desktop, cannot start, etc.) we pick the next one in the list
* we need a list also for the "Open With" menu; including ways of adding and removing from the list; this is solved by the defaults.list solution that Alex and I agreed upon.
* it wouldn't solve "gnome and kde want to start a different text editor" either.