Default Program | File Association

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 29 09:41:08 PST 2008

David Faure wrote:
>On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
>> David Faure wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
>> >
>> > Applications should simply install a .desktop file that describes
>> > them. In order for the default order of applications (i.e. without
>> > user configuration available) to be non-random, we (in KDE) use a
>> > InitialPreference field in the .desktop file, and the default
>> > application for a mimetype is the one with the highest initial
>> > preference number.
>>
>> Hopefully GNOME does not implement InitialPreference any more.
>> Otherwise GNOME would start KDE applications for all tasks. (It was a
>> real problem in one of older GNOME versions.)
>
>OK that's a valid concern, which can be solved with
> [InitialPreferences-KDE] and [InitialPreferences-Gnome] I suppose. But
> this defeats the point of standardizing it I guess, we could just
> implement our own different solutions. Fine with me. I just wanted to
> point out that the solution is an initial preference per
> application/mimetype combination, rather than letting applications mess
> up defaults.list - that's the job of the user.

There's no issue of backwards compatibility here because no
current .desktop files have this new section. So once the desktops with
this new feature will not be loading old desktop's settings.

On the other hand, extending this logic to defaults.list, it means we must
at once stop modifying those files for any task that isn't user or
sysadmin preference. Or give it a new name.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358