Fallback accessibility themes

Calum Benson Calum.Benson at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 3 09:12:32 PDT 2008

Yikes, I guess I haven't read xdg-list in a while...

On 10 Feb 2008, at 03:50, Shaun McCance wrote:

> I don't know if any other desktops provide similar themes
> for accessibility

KDE does...

> , but it would be nice to have a set of
> freedesktop-specified fallback icon themes that specific
> accessibility themes can inherit from.  So, for example,
> we would define the hicontrast theme.  Applications would
> install high contrast versions of their icons into that
> theme, and Gnome's HighContrast theme would inherit from
> hicontrast.
>
> Like hicolor, the accessibility fallback themes wouldn't
> be "real" themes, in that there wouldn't be any actual
> package that provides icons for them.  They would simply
> be a place for application-specific icons that should be
> used whenever an actual accessibility theme is used.
>
> This would allow us to encourage developers to provide
> icons for accessibility themes without asking them to
> tie themselves to Gnome.
>
> Thoughts?

As maintainer of some of the GNOME high contrast themes, I would very
much like to see this happen.  It's been proposed a couple of times
before, although with a different implementation (yours sounds better,
on the face of it):
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-November/005946.html>

Cheeri,
Calum.