CHS - Configuration Hierarchy Standard

Markus Raab registry at
Tue Mar 25 12:58:30 PDT 2008

I suggest to form a project which I call CHS (Configuration Hierarchy
Standard) having goals similar to FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, see but for configuration.

We should specify semantic and syntax of a value named by a key, e.g.

 is the namespace for system configuration...
 filesystems/ ...

with purpose, requirements and rationale in an informal way.

Configuration systems like elektra, augeas, uniconf but also projects which
are in a tree of the hierarchy like kde, gnome and other applications, may
contribute and implement this specifications.

Any ideas or suggestions?

This mailinglist seems to be a good place for a first start.

thank you
Markus Raab