thumbnail mtime, ctime

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Mar 27 12:44:00 PDT 2008

>> Or your navigate to a folder, realize that you don't have read
>> permission, so you fix it. But the thumbnail doesn't regenerate...
>
> I don't see that as a valid use-case. If the file can't be read, there is
> no thumbnail. So what would you be storing in the thumbnail cache?

A "failed" thumbnail is saved, as per the spec.
http://people.freedesktop.org/~vuntz/thumbnail-spec-cache/failures.html.

The failed thumbnail stores the original mtime, so that system knows
when to re-attempt thumbnailing. But since the ctime is not stored,
permission fixing will not trigger a re-thumbnailing.

It's a valid use case, in other words :-)

Adding the ctime to the failed thumbnail would eliminate this problem in
a backward-compatible way.

- Mike