thumbnail mtime, ctime

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Fri Mar 28 03:37:38 PDT 2008

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I don't think a failed thumbnail should be saved under those conditions.

The spec says "For every thumbnail generation failure the program
creates an empty PNG file." It doesn't exclude permissions-related
failures. And that is certainly how it has been implemented in gnome.

However, I think you're missing the broader point: by storing some extra
metadata in the thumbnail (mtime seconds + subseconds, ctime seconds +
subseconds, and file size) we can painlessly eliminate the existing
ambiguities in identifying file changes. The information usually exists
anyways at the time of thumbnail generation, it is just a few bytes in
size, and it can be done in a backward and forward compatible way. So
why not?

- Mike