[Icon-Naming-Spec] New icons proposal

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Tue May 6 05:19:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 13:58 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>  > Hibernate is a special case of suspend.
>
>  It's really not. Hibernate takes a few minutes, and allows you to power
>  down. Suspend takes a few seconds and cannot be powered down. These are
>  important differences that users _do_ understand.
>
>  These might seem technical differences, but they are very important.
>

>  > The latter is either suspend
>  > to ram or suspend to disk. system-suspend-hibernate provides a nice
>  > fallback scheme where system-hibernate does not.
>
>  Right, so you're talking about hybrid suspend/hibernate. If you want to
>  expose that, then I would argue just do hybrid when you want to
>  hibernate (if available) in the UI, as resume from hibernate takes a few
>  seconds, not a minute or so, as long as you don't power down. You never
>  want to do hibernate if hybrid is supported, there's just no point.
>
>  Richard.

Hmm, that's a pretty compelling argument. Suspend and hibernate might
not be too different technically, but they are from a user
perspective. (Imagine pulling the power-cord when suspended-to-ram)

With system-suspend being the fallback icon for
system-suspend-hibernate, users can be easilly confused into pressing
the wrong button. Especially since both are usually present on the
same dialog-windows.

With users in mind, it might be best not to have suspend be the
fallback for hibernate.

Stephan