RFC: A Multitouch Specification

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Sat Nov 1 12:21:19 PDT 2008

Hello everybody,

please forgive me for just dumping this on the list, but I'm quite
curious as well as in need of some feedback.

During my PhD thesis, I'm in the process of developing a multitouch SDK,
which is available here [1]. What I'm focusing on right now is the upper
two layers of the architecture shown there, the communications protocol
between them and especially the gesture recognition part. On [2], I have
posted a draft specification for this protocol; at the moment, the real
spec is only the code itself.

What I'm asking now is twofold: First, do these concepts make sense from
a GUI viewpoint? And second, would such a generic gesture recognizer be
of interest to the FDO community?

[1] http://tisch.sf.net/
[2] http://tisch.wiki.sourceforge.net/EventProtocol

Many thanks,