Why .local/share ?

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:59:19 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 11:10 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> Certainly nowhere starting with a "." -- I don't want to be
> carrying binaries around in hidden directories in 10 years' time.

Luckily the world is going to end in ~4 years, so we won't have to
worry about what the convention is 10 years from now.

Granted, if we're still doing a lot of the stuff we're doing now,
in 10 years, we have failed anyway. I hope $HOME will be much less
important in much less time than that.

The desktop is at a point where it's really only useful for hackers
and data entry personnel any more. It's not the best interface for
games, music, video, or lots of other activities.

-- Rodney