Idea about generic command framework for launching common applications

Darren Fulton dfulton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:02:22 PST 2008

Very interesting.   Thank you.  If I just wanted to open a text editor
[this is just an example], so that I could type up a quick note, I would
[I don't know what anyone else would do] open a text editor, type stuff
(maybe print it if necessary), then probably click File, click Save,
decide where to save it, and what to name it.

I'm providing a simple and uniform way that might allow a computer user
to get a text editor, or a web browser, or an email client, or a word
processor, or any other very common application, open lickety-split on
whatever desktop environment that he may be in front of him at that
moment.  It isn't directly about mime-types or about opening existing
files.  It is about getting a useful program open so that he can get
stuff done.  This isn't taking anything away from the user.  It is
adding a new, useful, option for computer users to launch applications.

If I were on a Windows PC on somebody's network somewhere, I could with
confidence, click Start, Run, type notepad.exe and click the Ok button.
A graphical text editor would open.  In Linux, with our many different
distributions, our multiple desktop environments, and the enormous
variety of included and optional applications, I'm not able to get that
program open so easily.  I won't even know immediately whether firefox,
or gedit, or kwrite, or any particular graphic application is
installed.  By aliasing a generic command to an installed graphical
application, that problem goes away.  Add in the bonus benefit of those
commands being configurable (system wide and also by individual users)
you end up with something that is very simple and very useful in my
opinion.  Please chime in and let me know if you agree or not.  Thank you.

--
Thank You,

Darren Fulton