Idea about generic command framework for launching common applications

Darren Fulton dfulton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:44:52 PST 2008

>> Very interesting.   Thank you.  If I just wanted to open a text
>> editor
>> [this is just an example], so that I could type up a quick note, I
>> would
>> [I don't know what anyone else would do] open a text editor, type
>> stuff
>> (maybe print it if necessary), then probably click File, click Save,
>> decide where to save it, and what to name it.
>>

> That wasn't my point. The point was to show that not all platforms use
> symlinks. :p

Sorry.  I have a better understanding now of what you were saying.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
>> If I were on a Windows PC on somebody's network somewhere, I could
>> with
>> confidence, click Start, Run, type notepad.exe and click the Ok
>> button.
>>

> Except someone might prefer using UltraEdit and set it as default in
> the registry. Which would end up working a bit like on BeOS, just not
> as clean.

Right.  I think you get it.  In case there is anyone else that doesn't
-- the point is that on Windows, we at least know the name of one
graphical text editor that is going to be installed and have a standard
way to launch it with a command.  We (computer users) don't have that
with Linux because we don't know which specific programs are installed
on any give computer.

We can equal that small Windows feature by adding a similar consistency
and we can best the Windows method by  allowing for generic commands
that can abstract the actual program name (without breaking the way
anything works today).
>> A graphical text editor would open.  In Linux, with our many
>> different
>> distributions, our multiple desktop environments, and the enormous
>> variety of included and optional applications, I'm not able to get
>> that
>> program open so easily.  I won't even know immediately whether
>> firefox,
>> or gedit, or kwrite, or any particular graphic application is
>> installed.  By aliasing a generic command to an installed graphical
>> application, that problem goes away.  Add in the bonus benefit of
>> those
>> commands being configurable (system wide and also by individual
>> users)
>> you end up with something that is very simple and very useful in my
>> opinion.  Please chime in and let me know if you agree or not.  Thank
>> you.
>>

> I'm just not sure it's the best way to do it. But maybe it's the
> simplest one on Linux... just don't forget there are other OSes out
> there. Haiku will not support all fdo standards of course, but some
> other Unices might want to do things differently anyway. So I was just
> showing a different point of view into the discussion.

I'm not sure either.  I certainly don't know how best to do it in BeOS.
There are a lot of smart programmers who subscribe to this list that can
chime in on the best ways to implement.  I am just trying to get people
to understand the concept, understand that it will not (hopefully) break
anything, understand that it will not  force anyone to do anything
differently, and build a consensus that this is something that will be
useful to do.  Then we can figure out how best to do it and get it
implemented.

     I suppose the $EDITOR thingy don't map well to the gui usage...

That is right I think.  I don't think there is a problem setting a
graphical editor as $EDITOR (actually, it might break stuff, like maybe
break crontab?), but that wouldn't work if you were in a text console.
It also doesn't address all the other application types that I'd like to
include that don't have shell (environment) variables yet.

Thank you François.

--
Darren Fulton