Comments on Tray Icon spec improvements

Owen Taylor otaylor at
Fri Sep 19 19:40:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 15:18 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The basic idea of the visual change is sound. I would recommend that
> instead of setting the visual of the manager window to match that of the
> dock, that a simpler approach of simply setting the visual ID in a
> property on the manager window should be taken.

I've attached a patch to the spec that specifies this behavior.

I've put also patches in GNOME bugzilla for

 The GTK+ tray icon:
 The gnome-panel tray:

Implementing support for _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_VISUAL. Compatibility here is

 * If _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_VISUAL is not present, the GTK+ tray icon
   exactly the same as before.

 * The gnome-panel tray handles icon windows in any visual whether or
   not they match the _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_VISUAL it provides.

- Owen