Trash Spec Idea

David Faure dfaure at
Fri Sep 26 14:34:39 PDT 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 20:04 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2008, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Yes, or see the KMountPoint code in KDE.
> >

> > About the filesystem types in the trash implementation, what did I do.... ah yes, I don't
> > use mtab at all, I use Solid which uses HAL to get a list of device volumes
> > (org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume). Much nicer than the old way of filtering
> > based on the filesystem type ;)
> Does this really work well? Hal only maintains info for hardware
> entities, and not for virtual mounts like e.g. an NFS mount.

That is true indeed.
This is some information we'll have to get from Solid, independently from HAL.

Interesting that I didn't see a bug report about this; sounds like people don't
use trash directories on nfs mounts :-)

David Faure, faure at, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE,
Konqueror (, and KOffice (