Icon theme spec on the website

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 07:00:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 16:01 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> The simple fact is, and I have stated it several times since I
> first wrote the spec, is that it is meant to be both a minimal list of
> icon names that need to be provided to theme the *DESKTOP, as well as
> to provide the guidelines for naming icons as extensions to those in
> the spec.

Then it's not an icon naming spec at all, it's a desktop icon theme spec
with limited extensions. It's up to the theme creators whether they want
10% coverage or 90% coverage, you can't tell them they can't call a
collection of icons a "theme" if it's not 100 coverage as most won't
care.

> I have no problem adding useful, good icons to the spec. But I won't
> just sit around all day taking your *DEMANDS* and obeying them.

Dude, read my mails to the list. I don't have hours of time to respond
to every point of the cleverly written emails, as I have work to do.

> The only thing preventing that, is nobody else wants to take the time
> to do it, and I don't have the time to do it.

Well, as you're the maintainer, all the decisions go past you. If you
don't have the time or fail to make the right decisions, either someone
should try to take to project over with your permission, or someone else
is just going to fork it. Then we'll have _two_ "specifications", rather
than one, which won't benifit anyone.

Seriously, the whole point of standardisation is for two applications to
agree on common names so they can both be themed easily without lots of
compat symlinks. If the Pigdin and empathy guys came forward and said
"hey guys, we've agreed on 10 shared names for the icons in both our
applications", then we should welcome them with open arms, and make it
EASY to get the names added to the spec, not fight with them and make
them feel stupid.

We certainly _shouldn't_ be telling them to rewrite their applications
with less icons, or to tell them that 7 can go in the spec and three
can't, as then they'll both just end up shipping 10 each themselves and
telling people that it was "too hard" to use standardised icons.

Richard.