Notifications spec: Icons

Christian Hammond chipx86 at chipx86.com
Thu Apr 2 16:43:37 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> speaking of which, i'd really like to see the name changed from
> org.freedesktop.Notifications to org.freedesktop.VisualNotifications. the
> reason for this is that the spec really only talks about, well, visual
> notifications :) there are many other notification mechanisms that are
> possible to implement, and which KDE does implement in knotify.
>
> how much pain would that cause GNOME apps? i'm hoping that this is all held
> inside of libnotify?

It's all inside libnotify and notification-daemon for the most part. I know
some people are using custom C# libs that talk to D-BUS directly instead of
wrapping libnotify (same with some Python projects I think), and those will
break.

We'll also break in the case of upgrading on a modern distro to a newer
libnotify or notification-daemon. I suppose that could be worked around by
having notification-daemon listen on both namespaces for a while, and have
libnotify first check if the VisualNotifications namespace is being handled
and then falling back on Notifications.

Another possibility is keeping the namespaces but introducing new methods
for whatever else we need, but then that moves into the bigger discussion
we're trying to avoid :)

Christian

Christian Hammond - chipx86 at chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com