Application development platform

Emilio Santos xkp.santos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:25:40 PDT 2009

Hello,

This post is meant to introduce an application development technology and
hopefully get some feedback. I emailed the list's maintainers and it seems
to be ok to post in here. Trying not to spam. This kind of project seems to
be close to what freedesktop.org is about.

The project is called xkp and its objective is to reduce the complexity of
the development process in general with emphasis on UIs. One particular
problem it solves is the dependency on c++ as it introduces a jscript-like
language (called xs) that is tailor made to high-level tasks common in most
applications. The project resembles the Adobe's Flex platform or Mozilla's
XUL. At the moment the applications run on top of Qt but there are plans to
broaden the scope to 3D graphics (using OGRE) and vector based graphic
applications using Cairo.

There is a downloadable demo at
http://xkpmedia.com/downloads/xkp20Demo.rar(windows only) that
contains 6 xkp apps demonstrating some of the features
of the platform. The source code for these is included and it totals 50K
(uncompressed). It tries to tackle applications usually considered to be
complex, one of the demos included, for instance, is an xs debugger. It has
~100 lines of code and is documented (along with the other demos) at
http://developers.xkpmedia.com/wiki/doku.php?id=samples20. A more complex
application (not yet ported) can be seen in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9wbPXB0v9o. And documented here:
http://developers.xkpmedia.com/wiki/doku.php?id=t4

I have spent a great deal of effort trying to document the project, here are
links to some of the material (the code can be obtained at sourceforge,
naturally)

  - http://osui.blogspot.com/ A blog making the case for the technology and
how the open source comunity could benefit from a project like this.
  - http://developers.xkpmedia.com Documentation, filled with samples and
goodies.
  - www.xkpmedia.com The current project is a rewrite of a more complete (as
in, has installers, runs on a browser, etc) yet more limited version based
entirely on 3D graphics. Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc4BKyQCPWk takes basically no programmer
intervention. I plan to port it soon and help would be greatly appreciated.
See some running samples here: http://www.xkpmedia.com/gallery
  - http://developers.xkpmedia.com/wiki/doku.php?id=technical a few (in
progress) articles on the c++ side of the technology, It is very friendly.

So here is where I ask for help, I make video games for a living and can't
code nearly as much as I would like. At the same time I haven't had any luck
finding any help. I image that means the project is not good enough or that
I'm doing something wrong, in either case some feedback will be great and
help even better.

Thanks for your time
Emilio Santos