XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:33:19 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 03:33 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 18.03.09 21:56, Lennart Poettering (mzkqt at 0pointer.de) wrote:
>
> > May I suggest the following names?
> >
> > audio-card (as it exists right now, intended for the generic idea of 'audio')

I really want to change this, but I'm not sure what to. Having foo-card
doesn't really make sense for any of the devices. I don't know what I
was thinking when I came up with the -card names.

I think we might want to get rid of the audio- and video- prefixes for
devices as well. I'm not sure what would be best to call some of the
devices, without the audio- prefix, but there are headsets that handle
both audio and video, for example. But speakers and headphones are audio
only. A television/monitor with speakers is still primarily a display,
not speakers. I think you probably would rather display the device icon
for a webcam, for adjusting the volume of the microphone on that device,
rather than a microphone icon.

> > audio-headset
> > audio-speakers
> > audio-headphones
> > audio-handsfree (no priority, feel free to ignore this part)

I think headphones is probably a sub-class of speakers. They are just
a special casing for small speakers.

With what I suggested above, the icons would then be:

headset
microphone
speaker (replacing audio-card)
speaker-headphones

display (replacing video-display)

And a couple of device-specific names would be:

headset-samsung-wep200

display-samsung-syncmaster-2343bwx (as opposed to video-display-...)

What do people think about this? We'd probably want to also rename the
status icons from audio-volume-... to speaker-volume-...

Comments, complaints?

> Rodney, Ping?

Sorry for the slow reply. Have been extremely busy with other things...