[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Aug 3 06:36:20 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Jannis Pohlmann<jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> If anything is to be added to the spec, I think something like
> ShortName (e.g. ShortName=Epiphany, Name=Epiphany Web Browser,
> GenericName=Web Browser) would make more sense than to change the
> meaning of Name. That way we'd at least maintain backwards
> compatibility (by not changing the meaning of Name). But I'm not sure
> this is really needed.

I think you may be right here; backwards compatibility is important,
and while we could debate forever whether GNOME's <= 2.26 decision to
set Name="FullName" was right, the result of that discussion doesn't
change the fact that it shipped and is widely used.

If we change the Name field now, concretely it will be a huge pain for
application writers because if their app is used on older GNOME
releases it will fail.

Concretely what I suggest is this:

o GNOME 2.28 panel is adapted to have multiple lines (default
GenericName/Name?  Dunno...my take would be Name/GenericName in North
America given that most Name is only meaningful in English, reverse
outside)
o If writing a *new* .desktop file, and you don't care a lot about
older OSes, set Name=Epiphany, GenericName=Web Browser
o If writing a new .desktop file, and you DO care, well...kind of a mess =/
o For an existing .desktop file which has Name=Epiphany Web Browser,
add a new entry ShortName=Epiphany  (maybe we call it AppName?)